What should be the vision of Ukraine’s development?
This thesis was the central core of the seventh annual conference of think tanks, organized by the International Renaissance Foundation with the support of the Embassy of Sweden in Kyiv.
Equally important issues for discussion at this year’s conference were whether intellectuals have an impact on public opinion. What is their role in developing the country’s vision: authors, inspirers, or critics? Are think tanks ready to work in the new political environment? How to reformat communication / analytical products to interest the authorities? How can authorities and think tanks work together on important public policy issues? Can a state research contract become such a procedure?
The event took place within the framework of the Initiative for the Development of think tanks in Ukraine, implemented by the International Renaissance Foundation in partnership with the Think Tank Foundation (TTF) with the financial support of the Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA). The Initiative aims to improve the quality and decision-making practices of public authorities by increasing the role, transparency, and level of trust in think tanks.
Some key speakers’ theses:
- The role and place of intellectuals in the development of states is an important topic that is addressed around the world. If in the past governments constantly involved intellectuals in their work and built a bridge between those in power and the analytical community, now, unfortunately, this practice is becoming less popular.
- The figure of an intellectual in society is still new. An intellectual can be considered a person who can go beyond his ego and appeal to the facts, without using such bizarre concepts as the highest truth.
- Many new think tanks have appeared in Ukraine since 2012, but the country still lacks a holistic long-term vision of the state’s development.
- Ukraine needs to modernize school and higher education to develop an intellectual environment.
- There is an urgent need to bring academic research to a new professional level because analytics itself can form an evidence base for the development of discourses.
A representative of the Institute attended this grand event, which helped to deepen and expand communication between the Institute and other think tanks.
More detailed information about the event can be found on the website of the Renaissance Foundation at the link: https://www.irf.ua/yak-buty-intelektualam-v-novyh-politychnyh-umovah-7-a-konferencziya-analitychnyh-czentriv/